Which Cities in North Carolina Have the Most Car Accidents?
Due to the sheer number of motorists on the road in North Carolina and across the United States, it is practically guaranteed that a car accident will occur daily. Of course, there are certain cities in North Carolina that have more car accidents than others. If you or a family member was injured in a car accident in one of these cities or anywhere else in North Carolina, you should speak with a Charlotte car accident lawyer. The lawyers at Dewey, Ramsay & Hunt, P.A. have over three decades of experience in personal injury law and are prepared to represent you in your car accident case. Dewey, Ramsay & Hunt, P.A. are here to explain which cities in North Carolina have the most car accidents.
10 North Carolina Cities with the Most Fatal Car Accidents Per Capita
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, North Carolina is the 24th worst driving state in the United States. When looking at cities in NC with a population of 10,000 or higher, here are the cities which have had the highest number of fatal car accidents:
- Lumberton – With a population of 21,707, Lumberton has had a total of 32 fatal car wrecks between 2010 and 2014. The driving danger index for drivers in Lumberton is 14; this means that Lumberton drivers have a 1 in 714 chance of having a fatal car accident every year.
- Hendersonville – Hendersonville has a population of 13,350 and a driving danger index of 11, meaning .11% of people in Hendersonville will be a victim of a fatal car wreck.
- Mount Airy – The population in Mount Airy is 10,411. Despite their low population, Mount Airy has had a total of 12 fatal car wrecks in a five-year span.
- Lexington – The city of Lexington, has a population of about 19,029. Between 2010 and 2014 there was 19 fatal car crashes in Lexington, this equals 1 in 1000 fatal car crashes per person.
- Statesville – The city of Statesville has a population of approximately 24,209 people and a driving danger index of 9.
- Monroe – The city of Monroe is home to about 33,588 people. Unfortunately, the city has suffered 30 fatal car accidents from 2010 to 2014.
- Asheboro – About 22,000 people reside in Asheboro, and the city has a driving danger index of 7.
- Clayton – There are approximately 17,837 people residing in Clayton, despite this low population, the city has a driving danger index of 7.
- Goldsboro – The population of Goldsboro hovers around 35,904, yet about 7% of drivers will be the victim of a fatal car accident.
- Fayetteville – Fayetteville has a larger population than the other cities on this list at about 202,401 people. As there were 129 fatal car crashes between 2010 and 2014, Fayetteville has earned a driving danger index of 6.
It is important to note that while larger cities, such as Charlotte, will have more fatal car wrecks during this 5-year timespan, they also have a higher population. This list is accurate when studying cities in North Carolina with the highest car crashes per capita.
5 North Carolina Cities with Highest Number of Car Accidents
When looking at cities in North Carolina with the highest number of car accidents, five cities stand out the most. Those cities are Charlotte, Raleigh, Durham, Greensboro, and Fayetteville.
2015 is the most recent year available for total car crash statistics in these five cities. In this year, the city of Charlotte suffered 34,284 car crashes which resulted in about 16,000 injuries and 64 deaths. In Raleigh, there were 23,103 car accidents in 2015. This resulted in about 6,500 injuries and 31 fatalities.
The city of Durham had about 11,694 car accidents in 2015; these crashes caused about 3,000 injuries and 18 fatalities. While Greensboro only had about 9,073 car accidents in 2015, they had a tremendous amount of car accident injuries with about 5,123 injuries being sustained. 22 people died from their car accident injuries in Greensboro in 2015. Finally, Fayetteville had about 8,474 car accidents in 2015. There were 2,742 injuries sustained as a result of those accidents and 17 fatalities.
Charlotte, NC Personal Injury Attorneys Can Help File Your Car Accident Case
The injury attorneys at Dewey, Ramsay & Hunt, P.A. understand how traumatizing it is to be a victim of a serious car accident and we are here to serve you in your time of need. Our team of legal professionals will tirelessly fight to ensure that you receive the compensation you deserve. We handle car accident cases, bus accidents, motorcycle accidents, and wrongful death cases, among other matters.
If you or a loved one was injured or killed in a car accident, you should consult with an experienced Charlotte personal injury attorney. To schedule a free consultation, call us at (704) 377-3737 or reach us online.