Hopefully you will never need this advice, but in case you do, time spent now considering what to do in case of an accident will avoid legal, financial and personal problems that can result from any accident. If you are involved in an accident, don’t panic; stay calm; remember the following advice and call a lawyer – it’s free!
FIRST 10 MINUTES AFTER A CAR CRASH:
- Stay calm, Assess injuries and passengers.
- Turn hazard lights on.
- Call 9-1-1 immediately. Stay until police arrive.
- Move out of traffic ONLY if minor damage and safe to do so.
- Check on others who may need medical care.
- Get out insurance, registration and driver’s license for police officer.
- Ask bystanders and helpers for name & phone number before they leave the scene.
- Be polite but don’t admit fault.
- Take pictures if safe to do so. Okay to use cell phone camera.
FIRST 10 HOURS AFTER A CRASH:
- Secure vehicle and remove valuables.
- See doctor ASAP, even if injuries seem minor.
- Contact your insurance agent but do not give a recorded statement.
- Photograph all damages to your vehicle.
- Photograph visible injuries.
- Write notes about your recollection of the crash and what happened.
FIRST 10 DAYS AFTER A CRASH:
- Get repair estimates for your car.
- Obtain police report when available.
- Contact employer if you can’t work.
- Contact your attorney…
- If you are injured and/or there is extensive property damage.
- Before providing any information to an adjuster from another driver’s insurance company.
- If anyone is pressuring you into a quick settlement, and
- Before the time period allowed for filing a claim (called the statute of limitations) expires.