Post Banner

How to Collect Med-Pay After a Car Accident in North Carolina

August 30, 2018

Collect Med-Pay After a Car Accident in NC

If you suffered serious injuries in a car accident, you might be wondering how you will afford to pay all of your medical bills. Fortunately, you may be eligible for “Med-Pay” through your own car insurance policy. Med-Pay provides another option for compensation for individuals who are injured in a car crash. To determine whether your insurance policy provides you with Med-Pay, you should consult with an experienced Charlotte car accident lawyer. The attorneys of Dewey, Ramsay & Hunt, P.A. are here to explain how to collect Med-Pay after a car crash in North Carolina.

What is Med-Pay?

Med-Pay, also referred to as medical payments coverage, provides a limited amount of money to be used for medical and funeral costs due to a car accident. In North Carolina, Med-Pay will typically provide for about $1,000 to $2,000 worth of expenses. However, the policyholder may request additional Med-Pay coverage from their insurance carrier, up to approximately $100,000. Eligibility for Med-Pay does not depend on who was at fault for the car accident.

People who can be covered under your insurance carrier’s Med-Pay include:

  • You or any of your family members present in the vehicle when the accident occurred, in any situation where you are involved in a pedestrian accident with a vehicle
  • Non-family members injured in a car accident when the insured vehicle was driven by you or a family member (including passenger vehicles and trailers)

Typically, Med-Pay does not cover injuries that occur when a person is driving a motor vehicle with less than four wheels. However, your insurance may charge an additional fee for covering motorcycle accidents and any other vehicle collisions that do not normally qualify for Med-Pay.

Your insurance carrier may also penalize you for adding inexperienced drivers to your insurance policy. In North Carolina, an inexperienced driver is a licensed driver who has less than three years of driving experience. Inexperienced drivers may raise your premium and affect the amount of money you can claim through Med-Pay.

It is also important to note that money recovered through Med-Pay does not have to be repaid to the insurance company. If you wish to know more about Med-Pay in North Carolina, you should speak with an experienced personal injury lawyer.

How to Claim Med-Pay from Your Insurance Carrier?

In North Carolina, drivers are not legally required to possess a Med-Pay clause in their insurance policy. Therefore, if you are unsure if your insurance provides you with Med-Pay, you should inspect your insurance policy or speak with a car accident lawyer.

To ensure your Med-Pay claim is honored by your insurance carrier, you should ensure that all information concerning the accident is organized. This means that you should exchange information with the other driver such as driver licenses, insurance, registration, addresses, and license plate numbers. Even though a Med-Pay claim does not depend on fault, you should still call the police to examine the scene of the accident. Request a copy of the police report to submit for Med-Pay coverage. The police report will also help if you choose to file a lawsuit against the other driver. You should also take pictures of the scene of the accident and note any adverse weather conditions.

Most importantly, you should get emergency medical services for yourself and anyone else that was injured. Inform the medical team that is treating your injuries how you received your injuries so that you can document your expenses and injuries to receive Med-Pay.

To request Med-Pay from your insurance carrier, you must provide evidence of your injuries and the automobile accident. A police report and a copy of your medical bills should suffice to receive Med-Pay for you or your injured family members.

Charlotte, NC Personal Injury Attorneys Can Help You Claim Med-Pay

If you need assistance claiming Med-Pay through your insurance carrier, you should contact an experienced Charlotte personal injury attorney. The law firm of Dewey, Ramsay & Hunt, P.A. possesses over 30 years of combined legal experience that we will use to represent you diligently. Our attorneys understand the burdens of dealing with a serious injury, and we are here to fight for you. We will work tirelessly to ensure you receive the legal outcome that you and your family deserve. To schedule a free consultation with one of our dedicated attorneys, contact us at (704) 377-3737, or reach us online using our short submission form.

Related Links: