Get Our Insider to Property Damage Brochure
Why Motorists are Still Not Wearing Seatbelts in North CarolinaNovember 29, 2022
Our Dewey, Ramsay Hunt Charlotte car accident attorneys recently reported an accident in our blog where the North Carolina State Highway Patrol confirmed that alcohol and speed were both factors in the crash and that none of the passengers were wearing seatbelts.
Despite North Carolina’s seat belt laws, which state all drivers, front seat passengers, and back seat passengers ages 16 and older must wear their seat belts, the lack of use consistently contributes to severe injuries and fatalities during North Carolina crashes.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reported that 91% of survey respondents claim they buckle up every time they drive. The other 9% said they do not buckle up for varying reasons, including discomfort, only traveling a short distance, or being in a hurry.
The reality is, seat belts save lives. On average, 47% of people who die in car accidents each year do not wear their seatbelts.
Are Vehicle Airbags Enough to Keep You Safe?
While technology has certainly increased vehicle safety factors, the NHTSA reports that airbags are not enough to protect drivers and passengers during a collision. In fact, the force of an airbag can seriously injure or even kill you if you are not buckled up. Both safety features — the airbag and the seat belt — work in conjunction to help decrease crash injuries and fatalities.
The statistics reflect the NHTSA’s reports, stating:
- Wearing your seatbelt as a front-seat passenger can limit your chances of moderate to fatal injury by 50% and of dying by 45%.
- Wearing your seatbelt in a light truck limits your risk of critical injury by 60%.
- More than 75% of people who are ejected during a fatal crash die from their critical injuries.
- The 25 to 34 age group experiences 60% of unrestrained deaths.
No one expects to be in a car accident. However, it is impossible to plan for or avoid other negligent drivers. Buckling up every time you get in your vehicle is a simple and preventative measure that can help increase your chances of living through an unexpected collision.
Contact Our Skilled Car Accident Attorneys in Charlotte, North Carolina
At Dewey, Ramsay & Hunt, our leading auto accident lawyers in Charlotte hope you never need us. However, if you are injured in a crash caused by negligence, we are here to help assess your case during a free consultation by calling 704-377-3737 or contacting us online. Contact our Charlotte personal injury lawyers for more legal help.
We provide unique legal services tailored to fit each client’s needs and do not get paid unless you do.
Because every case is different, the description of awards and cases previously handled by our law firm does not guarantee a similar outcome in current or future cases.