Having to deal with expensive medical bills, car repairs, and various other issues after a car accident is a taxing process. You may have multiple bills to handle, but your injury may be keeping you from working and earning money to support yourself and your family. In these situations, you may wonder just how long your car accident case is going to take. If you or a family member was injured in a car accident and you want to know how long it will take to receive compensation, you should speak with a Charlotte car accident lawyer today. The legal team at Dewey, Ramsay & Hunt, P.A. understands how hard it is to wait for a car accident case to conclude when you have bills or a family to take care of. The lawyers at Dewey, Ramsay & Hunt, P.A. are here to answer your questions about car accidents in North Carolina.
How Much Can You Get for a Car Accident Settlement?
There is no average car accident settlement amount in North Carolina, but, there are various factors that can help you determine the settlement amount for your car crash claim. To evaluate the amount of your settlement, you should look at:
- The amount of money needed for car repairs
- Money spent on medical bills and money that will be used for future medical bills
- Lost wages because of serious injuries like spinal cord injuries or traumatic brain injuries
- Insurance coverage for each driver
- Evidence showing fault
Every car accident case is going to be unique, so it is necessary to look at the facts of your case to determine how much money you may receive in a car crash settlement.
NC Car Insurance Payments for Injury
North Carolina’s mandatory minimum insurance requirements can provide some indication of the amount of money you may receive for a car accident settlement. Minimum liability insurance requirements for private passenger vehicles can give an injured party:
- At least $30,000 for bodily injury for one person
- At least $60,000 for bodily injury for two or more people
- At least $25,000 for property damage in any one accident
This list only describes the minimum amount of money that an insured driver is required to have in the state of North Carolina. The amount of coverage may differ based on the state where the car is insured.
Who Pays for Car Crash Damages in North Carolina?
North Carolina uses the contributory negligence doctrine. Contributory negligence in North Carolina states that any party that contributes to a car accident will be barred from recovery. For example, if you file a car accident lawsuit and the jury finds that you are 5% at-fault for the car accident and the other driver is 95% at-fault, you will not be able to recover any compensation for your injuries. This law may lead to some unfair verdicts; it also means a defendant who is 100% at-fault will be on the hook for your injuries. Therefore, it is important to observe all rules of the road or risk losing your right to compensation.
If you can prove the other driver was at fault, you may be able to recover money for your injuries and damages.
How Long Do I Have to File My Car Accident Case in NC?
North Carolina and every other state in the U.S. has a statute of limitations for personal injury cases. The statute of limitations dictates the amount of time an injured person has to file their personal injury case. In North Carolina, the statute of limitations is three years from the date of the accident for both personal injury claims and property damage.
The statute of limitations does not regulate the length of your personal injury case; it only applies to the amount of time you have to file your case. Once your case is filed within the time limit, you no longer have to worry about the statute of limitations. If you do not file your case within the time stated by the statute of limitations, the court may bar you from filing your case altogether.
Many car accident cases do not go to trial because people prefer to avoid trial. A settlement means that you will save money on legal expenses and have your money in your hands sooner than awaiting the conclusion of a trial. It is important to retain an attorney during negotiations to ensure you receive a fair settlement amount.
Charlotte, NC Auto Accident Attorneys Can Help Settle Your Claim
If you or a family member were in a car accident and are looking to settle your case, you should consult with a Charlotte personal injury attorney. The legal professionals at Dewey, Ramsay & Hunt, P.A. are prepared to help you determine if the settlement is right in your case, or if you should take your car accident claim to trial. To schedule a free consultation, call us at (704) 377-3737, or reach us online.