Get Our Insider to Property Damage Brochure
Charlotte Truck Accident Attorneys
The expressways around Charlotte, North Carolina are packed with tractors and trucks creating countless opportunities for an accident to occur. When a truck rolls over or collides with another vehicle, many people can be injured or killed. The size and weight of these large vehicles makes them prone to causing serious damage to smaller vehicles. A trucker is well protected, but when a passenger car collides with a truck, the truck is likely to result in serious injury or death.
If you are involved in a truck accident, the result can be mentally, physically, and emotionally devastating. The hurts and pain combined with a complicated legal system can seem overwhelming. You need an experienced Charlotte truck accident attorney to represent you and fight to obtain the compensation you are entitled to. At Dewey, Ramsay & Hunt, PA, our aggressive legal team has handled truck accident lawsuits for decades. We know how to investigate your accident, build your case, and guide you through every step of the process while protecting your rights. To learn more about filing a truck accident claim in North Carolina, contact us online for a free consultation, or call our law offices at (704) 377-3737.
Common Causes of Truck Accidents in North Carolina
Trucking companies and their drivers, by virtue of law, must follow specific rules and regulations, such as the limit of hours that a trucker can drive his truck. Unfortunately, drivers sometimes come under pressure from their employers and exceed their working hour limits in order to complete their deliveries faster. This can cause the driver to become fatigued or distracted – and a greater chance of a serious accident.
Other types of negligent behavior can also lead to a serious truck crash. For example, some truckers abuse drugs or alcohol in an attempt to stay more alert while driving. In other cases, improper training or lack of experience can cause a preventable accident. Some common causes of commercial truck accidents in North Carolina include:
- Aggressive handling
- Carelessness and negligence
- Badly placed load
- Mechanical failures
- Excess of charge
- Poor vehicle maintenance and unsafe equipment, such as unsafe brakes
Many truck accident cases involve one or more of the following factors:
- Side collisions
- Lane changes
- Frontal crashes
- Center lane change accidents
- Lost of control
- Subsequent shocks
Truckers have a tough job and a massive vehicle to control. Any variable or combination of these that is not up to par with the standard, such as failure to follow federal regulations for hauling vehicles, can cause a catastrophic truck accident capable of injuring and killing multiple drivers and their passengers.
Truck Accident Lawsuit Transactions
You will need a truck accident injury attorney who can quickly analyze your situation and take the appropriate actions to prove that the trucker, or the company that owns the truck, is at fault for your injuries. Your attorney can potentially file claims for negligence, pain and suffering, and loss of consortium.
Your attorney will handle all the critical details related to your claim. However, it can be helpful to have some background knowledge about truck accident compensation, which can be obtained by negotiating a payment or obtaining a court-ordered payment. Here are three important points for plaintiffs to remember about filing a truck accident claim in Charlotte, North Carolina:
- The trucking company will be required to pay damages only after they have been found liable. Therefore, it is important to know your own insurance coverage so that your medical expenses are paid while your claim is litigated.
- Certain evidence needs to be preserved by or within a time limit. For this reason, the faster you contact an attorney to present your case, the better your chances of obtaining compensation.
- There is a time limit called the “statute of limitations,” which establishes the time a plaintiff has to file their claim. Don’t let the statute of limitations run for long before consulting with a Charlotte truck accident attorney. It is important that you give your attorney the maximum amount of time to investigate the accident, depose medical witnesses, experts, and any other witnesses, and plan your case.