Post Banner

What is the Difference Between a Reportable Crash Report and a Non-Reportable Crash Report in North Carolina?

February 21, 2024

At Dewey, Ramsay & Hunt, P.A., our Charlotte car accident attorneys know the difference between a reportable crash report and a non-reportable crash report. Crashes with injuries must be reported to local law enforcement, resulting in the officer(s) filing a crash report otherwise known as a form DMV-349. These are called “reportable crash reports.”

Non-reportable crash reports are those that involve property damage of $500 $1,000.00 or less and no bodily injury. Knowing the difference between reportable and non-reportable accidents is vital when filing a personal injury claim in North Carolina. Here, we discuss the differences.

Reportable Crash Report and a Non-Reportable Crash Report

What is a Reportable Accident Under North Carolina Law?

A reportable accident is a crash that results in any of the following:

  • Property damage of at least $1,000.
  • Property damage to a vehicle seized in forfeiture in an impaired driving case.
  • A person’s injury or death.

Always call the police after a crash, even a supposed fender bender. In addition, our Charlotte personal injury lawyers recommend crash victims — no matter how minor the crash may seem — seek medical care immediately if they are hurt to ensure their health and well-being are the priority.

What is a Non-Reportable Accident Under North Carolina Law?

Technically, non-reportable crash reports are those that involve property damage of $500 $1,000.00 or less, and no bodily injury, does not involve hazardous materials and the crash did not involve a seized vehicle. Whether a crash report is required or not can be up to the discretion of the responding officer.

Our law office has seen crashes with injuries reported and over $3,000 in damage be categorized as non-reportable because it was up to the officer’s discretion on which form to use.

It is important to call the police and exchange information, as most insurance companies require documentation of the incident.

Have You Been Injured in a North Carolina Fender Bender Accident?

If you were injured in a vehicle collision, even a fender bender, caused by negligence in North Carolina, our personal injury attorneys in Charlotte at Dewey, Ramsay & Hunt want to hear your story during a free consultation by calling (704)-377-3737 or contacting us online.

We provide unique legal services tailored to each client’s needs and do not get paid unless you do.

Your Injury, Our Fight. How can we help you take a stand?

Because every case is different, the description of awards and issues previously managed by our law firm does not guarantee a similar outcome in current or future cases.